Edmonton Elite Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Edmonton Elite Hockey League

EEHL Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Empty Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:35 pm

SamuraiTokey

[Commercial ends and the screen goes to the stylized logo of the EEHL Tonight program.  The logo fades away, showing the show’s anchor, Reme LaBouche, sitting behind a desk.]

LaBouche: Welcome back to EEHL Tonight here on The Sports Channel. We are on the air for the Montreal Canadiens press conference, which was arranged pretty quickly.  It looks like they are set up and ready, so let's go live to Montreal.

[The feed shifts to a room in which a number of media are sitting, looking at the table at the head of the room.  Seated in the centre of the table, behind a microphone, is Canadiens GM Michael Tokunaga.  He has what is an obvious black eye, as well as a number of small bandaged cuts on his face.  To his right is Canadiens Owner Geoff Molson.  To his left are Assistant GMs Larry Carriere and Rick Dudley.]

GM Michael Tokunaga: Good afternoon, and thank you all for joining us.  It has been a very eventful week here for the Canadiens, and I want to first thank Tuukka Rask, Gabriel Landeskog, Gustav Nyquist, Adam McQuaid and Boyd Gordon for the fantastic season they had for us last year.  They were all key members to our success, and I wish them the best of luck with their new clubs.  I would also like to welcome our new members, Drew Doughty, Wayne Simmonds, Ondrej Pavalec, Ryan Murray, Jarret Stoll, Michel Handzus, and Yannick Weber to the club.  We look forward to seeing you on the ice.

However, that is not the reason I have called you here today.  Unfortunately, in discussions over the past few months, Coach Michel Therrien and the Montreal Canadiens have decided to part ways.  It was agreed by both parties that it would be for the best, and we wish him future success.  As a result, we have been left without a Head Coach.  So, in consultation with Mr. Molson, as well as Larry and Rick, we have decided to name myself the interim Head Coach.

[A few audible gasps are heard throughout the room.]

Let me be clear that we will put forth every effort to find a good fit for a Head Coach as we move along, but with training camp set to open soon, we do not have the luxury of doing a thorough search and hiring a coach in time.  So, this will help us get over that hump.  This is not a decision we have made lightly, but we feel it is for the best, and we look forward to the upcoming season.  

I will only take a few questions, because we are pressed for time today.

[A number of voices all start shouting at the same time.  Tokunaga points at one.]

Tokunaga: Barry, go ahead.

Barry Johns: Is this coaching change a result of the recent player transactions you have made?

Tokunaga: That certainly plays a part of it.  I am building a team by looking at the big picture, but unfortunately, Mr. Therrien and I didn't see things in the same light.  I certainly value his opinion, but we just couldn't make it work.  Go ahead Bryan.

Bryan Shauger: You have only been a GM in the NHL for one year, and have no NHL Head Coaching experience.  Why was the decision made to have you fill the role, even if only temporary?

Tokunaga: Well, that is an internal discussion that I will not share.  But, we certainly talked about what I would need to accomplish, and how I would go about it.  I can't sit here and say I am a great coach for one reason or another.  Ultimately, it is just words.  I don't have any Stanley Cup rings that show I know all about winning.  All I will have is my actions as the season starts, and you can judge me based on those.  I think, as a GM, I have done alright so far, but this league is about what have you done lately.  So, hold the judgement for half a season.  Ok, last one.  Go ahead Tam.

Tam Cait: You look like you were in an accident.  What happened, and did it have anything to do with the shouting that was reported coming from your office yesterday?

Tokunaga: Well, that was just me being clumsy.  I managed to trip and fell into a door.

Cait: There were reports of injuries to Michel Therrien as well.

Tokunaga: Ok, well, that is all we have time for.  Thank you all for coming today.

[Despite the shouting from the media, trying to get more questions in, the Canadiens management all get up and shuffle out of the room.  The feed shifts back to Reme LaBouche.]

LaBouche: Well, there you have it, GM Michael Tokunaga is now GM and Interim Head Coach of the Montreal Canadiens.  We are sure to have panel analysis on this later tonight.

https://eehl.canadian-forum.com

2Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Empty Re: Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:52 pm

viran45

viran45
League Founder

Bryan Shauger made his way over to Montreal I see. Great reporting

3Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Empty Re: Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:59 pm

Nikle

Nikle
Commissioner

SOMEBODY FIND THERRIEN!

4Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Empty Re: Montreal Canadiens: Press Conference Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:37 pm

SamuraiTokey

[A reporter is seen running up to former Montreal Canadiens Head Coach, Michel Therrien, who is leaving a local training facility.  Michel has his right hand bandaged and a few minor cuts on his face.]

Reporter: Michel, can you give your side of the coaching change in Montreal?  Was it by your choice?

Michel Therrien: Of course!  I couldn’t work under that GM any longer.  It started with him shipping out Nathan, and it was a disaster in that he sent out Gabriel and Tuukka.  Those players were among the heart and soul of this team.  He kept claiming he has a vision, but that vision apparently didn’t have room for input from the Head Coach!  I will be fine, I know I will find another job.  Let’s see if that F#@% can find another one when he burns this historic and glorious franchise to the ground.

Reporter: What about the injuries both you and GM Tokunaga seemed to have sustained?  Was there a physical altercation?

Therrien: I can’t say any more about this.  

[Therrien gets into his car and drives away.]

https://eehl.canadian-forum.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum