Edmonton Elite Hockey League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Edmonton Elite Hockey League

EEHL Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Canuck Talk: Episode 173

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Canuck Talk: Episode 173 Empty Canuck Talk: Episode 173 Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:32 pm

SamuraiTokey

[The screen shows the stylized logo of the Canuck Talk program, while the opening theme music starts to play.  The logo fades away, and the shot brings the show’s host, Slob Bauffer, into view.]

Bauffer: It has been a whirlwind couple of months for the Vancouver Canucks.  Fresh off hiring new GM Michael Tokunaga, the GM made his mark, radically overhauling the Canucks with a series of trades.  The one trade that has everyone talking is one made with Tokunaga's former team, the Montreal Canadiens.  It seems that both teams were looking for a completely new start, and this trade certainly made sure of that.  Here are the trades that Tokunaga made since being hired.

[A graphic appears with the following information:

To Vancouver: C Claude Giroux, D Erik Gudbranson, G Matt Hackett, LW Taylor Hall, D Ryan Murray, C John Tavares, C Mark Scheifele, C Jarret Stoll, and Montreal's 2nd round pick in 2018

To Montreal: C Jeff Carter, LW T.J. Galiardi, G Ryan Miller, LW Max Pacioretty, C Brandon Sutter, D Christopher Tanev, C Dana Tyrell, C Linden Vey, D Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Vancouver's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks in 2016, 1st and 3rd picks in 2017, 1st and 3rd picks in 2018, 1st and 2nd picks in 2019, 1st and 2nd picks in 2020, 1st round pick in 2021, as well as Chicago's 2nd and 3rd pick in 2018, and Chicago's 1st pick in 2019.

To Vancouver: D Jeff Petry

To New York Islanders: D Ladislav Smid and Montreal's 4th round pick in 2017

To Vancouver: RW Kenny Ryan

To Dallas: RW Matt Fraser and Montreal's 5th round pick in 2017

To Vancouver: C Vincent Lecavalier and Buffalo's 1st round pick in 2017

To Buffalo: LW Nick Spaling and Montreal's 3rd round pick in 2019

[The scene shifts back to Bauffer.]

Bauffer: As a result of the moves Tokunaga made, the Canucks look very little like the team that finished 25th in the league last season.  While Tokunaga has been inaccessible for comment, he finally made time for questions following the Canucks' home opener, in which they defeated Tokunaga's former team, the Montreal Canadiens, 6-4.

[The feed shifts to a hallway where GM Michael Tokunaga is standing against a wall, with a number of microphones around him.  He seems to be responding to a question asked before the feed started.]

Tokunaga: Yes, that kind of trade is unheard of here in the league.  But, it is pretty simple for why it happened.  Montreal was unhappy with the current situation on their team, and I have a tremendous amount of faith in the core I built there.  Montreal didn't want them, so I was happy to do what it took to change things around.  That required giving up the core players here already, as well as a lot of draft picks.  When I see the buzz around the city, I can see that they want a team who will win now, and not have a repeat of last season.  That is what I am seeking to accomplish here.  And, in speaking to the fact that trades like this do not happen, remember, the circumstances of the league took every player and had them redrafted amongst the teams again.  The old norms do not apply now.

Unseen Reporter: Was it vindication for you to beat the Canadiens in the first game in Vancouver with you as GM?

Tokunaga: I do not take any extra pride in beating this team or that team.  I just want us to win regardless of the competition.  It was time for a change in Montreal, and I wish them nothing but the best.  Heck, I hope they win the East this year, if that means we get to beat them in the finals.  But, as you can see from the game tonight, there are a lot of emotions from the players on both sides.  It wasn't the most disciplined play from a defensive standpoint, but both sides have chips on their shoulders, and you could see that.  John Tavares is an elite player in the league, and has had more multi goal games than I can count, but I am sure he felt a little more satisfaction with his four tonight against the Canadiens than usual.

[The feed shifts back to Bauffer.]

Bauffer: There certainly is a different atmosphere here in Vancouver, and it is one of excitement as the Canucks have come out of the gate with three straight wins.  Time will tell if they can keep winning, and prove that the hiring of Michael Tokunaga was the right one.  Good night, and see you next week.

https://eehl.canadian-forum.com

2Canuck Talk: Episode 173 Empty Re: Canuck Talk: Episode 173 Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:26 pm

Nikle

Nikle
Commissioner

Slob Bauffer may top James Muffie as top EEHL personality name. Beauty.

And a 17 player, 16 pick trade? Not bad, not bad at all Wink

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum