Edmonton Elite Hockey League

EEHL Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Midseason Predictions

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Midseason Predictions on Thu May 22, 2014 5:22 pm

With the EEHL season just past the midway point of the season, it's time to take a look ahead at how things will look in a few months.

Western Conference Finalists: Chicago vs LA - The Hawks struggled a bit out of the gate but have since snapped out of their funk and have shot up the standings. The Kings seem to have found some good cohesion within their locker room and have played excellent team hockey this season and could provide the Hawks with their stiffest challenge yet in the West. Chicago in 6.

Eastern Conference Finalists: Philadelphia vs Detroit - May seem like the easy way out to pick a third straight Eastern finals comprised of these two, but any time you're picking a team to beat one or both of Montreal and Ottawa to make it this far, it's not an easy choice. We're seeing some new faces rise up the leaderboards in Philadelphia and after the series these two had last year, hard not to see the Flyers doing better if Ovechkin is healthy. Philly in 7.

Stanley Cup Finalists: Chicago vs Philadelphia - The Flyers gave the Wings everything they could handle last year and that was without Ovechkin. Having him healthy and the sky rocketing Galchenyuk in addition to the likes of Backes, Subban and Price spells the end of Detroit's reign at the top. The Blackhawks have had the Flyers number in their recent regular season meetings, but I think the Flyers will be too hot to handle for anybody this post season. Flyers in 7.

Major Award Winners

Art Ross: Looks like a two horse race right now, but look for Ovechkin to take this trophy back this year.

Hart: I'll take Patrice Bergeron here. He'll be the third straight Wing to win, but will be the only one left on the roster (Hall/Stamkos the previous winners).

Norris: Hard to pick against Victor Hedman picking up his third straight Norris.

Lady Byng: I think we'll see Claude Giroux and Alex Galchenyuk battle for this one and the vet will take home the award.

Calder: A two horse race and a lot will come down to whether the voters prefer a goalie who's had time to develop or a fresh faced rookie playing directly after being drafted. Hard to argue with either one winning but hard to see Jake Allen losing this one.

Conn Smythe: As hot as Galchenyuk is, I think this is the year that Ovechkin leads that team to the Cup. He's led playoff goal scoring each of the last two years and will take it all this year.

Vezina: Allen has the GAA edge while Rinne and Varlamov have the save percentage advantage. We've seen before that the voters like the save percentage numbers and I think we'll see Rinne pick up another Vezina.

Selke: Patrice Bergeron repeats here, so much of what Detroit does is based on what he does on a nightly basis at both ends of the ice.

---------------------------
PM me to share information and misinformation about your players, coaches and GMs.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LATEST NEWS & RUMORS!
http://eehl.canadian-forum.com/t5-rumors-and-updates
View user profile

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum