Edmonton Elite Hockey League

EEHL Forums

You are not connected. Please login or register

Oiler Positives

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:00 pm

viran45

League Founder
I know I maybe the worst for this but I feel there is so much negativity around the Oilers its almost too much to even think about them. The Oiler management staff deserves to be fired but in the end that wont happen because the man writing the cheques does not want to.

I wanted to start a positive thread where we talk about players or games where we think the Oilers have some positives.

I will start with Maricin. He has been a pleasent surprise. He has top 4 potential ( i think) and if the kid could gain 20 pounds he could be a force.

I also have been reading that Klefbom has progressed nicely and lately has been OKC's best player. More postitves.

Although RNH has not put up the points that people expect I really like this kid (still only 20). He is shifty and can make a play out of nothing at times. Not to mention he is an unreal smooth skater.

Lets try to keep up the postives. Or burn this thread to the ground. Whatever works for your guys.  Razz 

View user profile

2 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Nikle

Commissioner
Positives? We have some potentially elite level skill on the team and in the system.

Another positive is that it seems our farm team is a much better development area than it was when we had Deslaurier and Dubnyk trying to learn their craft. Granted, it couldn't have gotten much worse than it was then.

Brossoit has been tearing it up (though Roy is pretty comparable with around double the ice time at the same level).

I think the biggest kicker is that we have these kids getting close to ready. Very close to making an impact (like Marincin and hopefully soon to include Fedun, Klefbom, etc), but like the forwards before them, we don't have the mentors at the NHL level ready to take these guys under their wing. We didn't have that for Hemsky and sadly enough, we never got it for Hall/Eberle/Yak/etc. Hopefully they can figure it out on their own (like Hemsky somewhat did), but how many years will we waste hoping for that when the team *could* provide that foundation a lot sooner?

Overpay? Probably required. Long term advantage? Probably worth a lot more than what we'd have to overpay with to acquire it.

And no, I don't accept Smyth and Ference as solid mentors for these guys. Hell, sounds like Smyth is already asking to be dealt by the deadline.

View user profile

3 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:21 pm

viran45

League Founder
Oh I hope smyth asks for a trade lol.

While in the positive state here, hopefully we can add those veterans needed to guide our young players. Some of the players are starting to learn themselves and the Halls and Eberles of the team will have to guide yakupov pitlick lander and those players. We do need a top end d veteran to guide Nurse Klefbom and probably Ekblad.

Also Eberle seems to have found his game with 3 goals in consecutive games. Will help the team or increase his trade value.

I mean the Oilers only need a big two way #2 center 2 big top pairing dmen and a number 1 goalie, to be competitive.

View user profile

4 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

Heh, well, if I look for positives, I would say that Hall's game is getting more mature, he just needs to work on keeping his emotions in check (funny coming from me). RNH is already showing he could be an elite two-way centre. Marincin looks good already, and he is still pretty green. I am really hoping Fedun can make the jump as well, though I suspect he is a third pairing guy.

Also, Justin Schultz has started to show more defensive awareness and has been pretty good with his stick in checking opponents, so hopefully that continues.

---------------------------
GM of the Montreal Canadiens

View user profile http://eehl.canadian-forum.com

5 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:27 pm

viran45

League Founder
agree with Justin Schultz he has cleaned up some of his lapses.

Taylor Hall is a beast. In comparision to last year he seems to be off and he is still putting up awesome numbers. I fully expect him to get better after the olympic break.

View user profile

6 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Nikle

Commissioner
See, this is where I fall off the bandwagon. All the advanced stats show that the top guys on our team have regressed to rookie season level play. I mean, they were good rookies, don't get me wrong, but the advances they had shown since then have evaporated.

Question there is, was Krueger getting more out of these guys last year (playing exclusively vs Western opponents and Hopkins down a shoulder) and they've regressed under Eakins? Is it the new system or is Eakins purposely breaking these guys down to rebuild the weaknesses in their games?

I'd love it to be the last point, but nothing I've seen from Eakins makes me believe that this is some grand master plan.

Check out the numbers.

What is wrong with Oilers big guns Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle?

This is why it scares me that the Oilers may not be willing to move on from Eakins even if the last 30 games go just like the first 50.

View user profile

7 Re: Oiler Positives on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:53 pm

viran45

League Founder
Stay positive dammit.

Although the stats say they have regressed Kruger also did have Hall with nuge and Eberle most of the season where Eakins does not.(dont know why. I do see some of the same problems in their games for a few season now which maks me wonder.

4 coaches in 5 seasons does not help either. I have faith that Hall nuge eberle and yakupov will just keep getting better, but can the oilers support them thats the question

View user profile

8 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 am

Yeah the coach thing is big I think. If they have a coach pushing them to do things they don't want to do, they know it'll just be a new coach soon enough. I think until the ship out one of the big pieces to show that they're not just set here forever, it won't change. Sad that we're at that stage, but that's kind of how I see it.
Really sad thing is how last year everyone thought the Oilers had a big leg up coming off the lockout since most the team played in OKC. Kind of looks like not finishing dead last WAS them having a leg up on everyone else.

Oh, something positive...umm...I'll think of something and come back

View user profile

9 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am

OH MY GOD!!!! WE GOT MARK FRASER FROM THE LEAFS!!!

Wait...who is Mark Fraser?

10 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:08 am

viran45

League Founder
Boom that's bold...,

I dunno who he is

View user profile

11 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 am

viran45

League Founder
Is it sad that we are literally picking up Toronto's farm team

View user profile

12 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:34 am

Eakins must really love players he had in the minors...

confused 

13 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:35 am

viran45

League Founder
We needed more #6 dmen anyway

View user profile

14 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:56 am

Nikle

Commissioner
Everything I'm reading suggests he's a poor man's Mark Fistric.

Who knew Fistric was the rich man's version?

View user profile

15 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:03 am

viran45

League Founder
Well when a team like the ducks resign him you wonder why he wasn't good enough to play here

View user profile

16 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

Nikle

Commissioner
Like a lot of depth players, you'll look worse here than on a team that can slot and fill the roster with guys at appropriate positions. Imagine how good Petry would look as a 3/4 type D rather than the #1.

That said, Fistric was great when he landed a hit, but holy smokes could he take himself right out of a play if he misjudged it at all. In the end I'd still much rather have Smid than Fistric or Fraser.

On the other side of the equation, how badly did the Oilers screw up their handling of Hartikainen? I mean, haven't they been looking for a big bodied winger all season? Not saying he's a top line option, but he could fit in somewhere in the middle 6 I would think, better than Joensuu anyway.

View user profile

17 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:12 am

viran45

League Founder
How do you get a player like smid ? Lol

I know with hartikanen he wanted 1 way they wanted 2 way and he bolted. Hartikanen would've been better than joensuu

View user profile

18 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:14 am

Nikle

Commissioner
Oh, I know why he bolted, and it's not all on the team, but why would they establish such a hard line stance on a guy that is the type of player they're desperate for? Just seems silly, even if he's never anything better than a third liner, to lose a tough to acquire asset like that for next to nothing.

Ah well, one step closer to only having Marlies and Oil Kings on the team. Has to work right?

View user profile

19 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:33 am

The thing I have heard about Hartikinen is his desire to do the work isn't there. He may fit the profile, but if he doesn't want to put in the work that it takes at the pro level...

But, that is all behind the scenes stuff, so I have no idea how true it might be.

20 Re: Oiler Positives on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Nikle

Commissioner
Oh oh oh I have a positive, possibly two!

As a result of this deal, guys like Fedun and Klefbom likely won't be called up so they'll be spared the trauma of playing with the D group currently employed with the Oilers and can hopefully help lead the way to post season success in OKC.

We can also now trade multiple D (Grebeshkov, Larsson, Belov, N. Schultz, etc) without having to do any other call ups as well. We have so many low pairing D we can have our own Black Friday sale.

Unfortunately, we already moved our 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks and only have the Sharks 4th rounder back in any of those rounds. Hopefully we can get a few more in that range back at the deadline.

View user profile

21 Re: Oiler Positives on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:28 am

Nikle

Commissioner
Buy into the system, work hard, do what the coach asks and you'll be rewarded.

By being sent to the minors.

Hope you tear it up down there Arco. You deserve better.

View user profile

22 Re: Oiler Positives on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 am

Well, at least Eakins has warned against the Oilers taking Buffalo too lightly, so that's a positive.

Because the 29th place team in the NHL should be maybe looking at some games being too easy. Especially against the 30th place team who you're four points up on but they have 3 games in hand. Sigh.

View user profile

23 Re: Oiler Positives on Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 am

Nikle

Commissioner

View user profile

24 Re: Oiler Positives on Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm

Oilers positives: First team in the league with a T-rex as a coach

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum